Friday 4 May 2007

All wined out?


One week into the trip and we've got the blog working. Better late than never eh?


Having only visited Chile once before, this trip was always going to be an adventure and it has certainly been that. I've seen hundreds of wines in many of the most prominent Chilean wine regions and I think I finally "get" Chile!


I initially thought that picking up a car and getting myself around would be the best bet but in the end, I left myself at the mercy of my poor planning and have relied to friendly Chilean winery owners to ferry me about - it's worked out pretty well really and those car journies have let me find out a little more about the people behind the wine. It's firmly emphasised what a small industry we all work in......and that most Chilean drivers are frustrated rally participants.


Highlights so far?


The visit to Botalcura, though obviously very hard work most of the time (?), was made memorable by my first time on a horse. Though my docile mare was more interested in stuffing her face with lush grass than galloping, it was a great experience seeing Botalcura's massive new olive plantation from the back of a horse......


Most extraordinary wine so far has to be from top San Antonio producer Matetic. Their EQ Syrah and the yet to be launched super premium Syrah were both world class. Wines such as these are setting the tone for a Chile that more confidently plants the right varieties in the right regions.


Most entertaining story so far was from a certain Maipo producer who regailed the story of his sister's wedding where only a minute before the vows, the priest marrying them decided to step off this mortal coil. It seems a little unsympathetic to laugh but it was told in the best of humour!


Tomorrow I have another major Maipo producer to visit and the it's off to Mendoza to meet those nice folk at Zuccardi......

No comments: